External Hard Drive Recovery
With over 10 years of experience in the external hard drive data recovery industry, we have performed thousands of successful recoveries. We pride ourselves in being the leaders for secure and reliable data recovery. Being a specialized data recovery company allows us to efficiently focus our resources towards the main goal of recovering your critical data. It is assuring to know that we are equipped with the tools for proven success.
Symptoms Indicating Your External Hard Drive Needs Recovery
- Computer or external HD is displaying unusual error messages
- External hard drive is unresponsive or slow
- External HD does not power up or spin
- Failure of the external to boot or constantly freezes
- External hard drive is making unusual noises (clicking, beeping, grinding)
- Water or other liquid was spilled onto the external hard drive
- External hard drive has taken impact from being dropped
- Accidental formatting or deletion of files
- Bad sectors on the external hard drive are detected
- The external hard drive was subjected to a virus
- Files or folders are no longer accessible on the external hard drive
- Partition table has been damaged
- Any kind of physical damage to the external hard drive
It is evident that there are many factors potentially contributing to an external hard drive failure. We have outlined the most common occurrences from our years of experience. If your external HD is experiencing something not listed, we are still able to assist you. We pride ourselves in being able to recover data from any type of failure with no limitations on the complexity, brand, size, or manufacturer of external hard drives.
Types of External Hard Drive Failures
Hard drives are bound to fail eventually over time. There are two main types of external hard drive failures. The most common is a logical failure. The second type of failure is a mechanical or physical failure.
- Logical External Hard Drive Failure: The external hard drive’s internal components are functional, but other complications are causing the data to be inaccessible. The integrity of the data is compromised and the data stored is damaged in some way. Common causes of logical external hard drive failures include accidental formatting or deletion of files, corrupt or missing partitions, operating system errors, corrupt file system, or a computer virus.
- Mechanical External Hard Drive Failure: External hard drives contain internal moving parts. When a mechanical or physical failure occurs, one or more of the internal components has malfunctioned. The drive may be experiencing difficulty spinning or in some cases not spin at all. This will result in data that cannot be accessed unless the drive is opened in a clean room environment and rebuilt mechanically. Common causes of mechanical external hard drive failures include head crashes, alignment issues, broken motor, or spindle problems.
What To Do If Your External Hard Drive Has Failed
If you suspect your external hard drive needs data recovery, taking some precautions can dramatically increase the chances of a successful recovery. Our experts highly recommend discontinuing all usage to the external hard drive if your device shows symptoms of failure. Continuing to power up a potentially failing external hard drive can cause further irreversible damage and result in an unrecoverable scenario.
At Proven Data Recovery, our qualified technicians are trained to follow strict guidelines when handling your critical data to ensure the highest probability of success. The first attempt at data recovery always has the highest chance of being recovered. Hard drives are very delicate devices and any mishandling can be detrimental. This is why we stress the importance of utilizing a data recovery company with state of the art hard drive recovery equipment, trained data recovery engineers, and years of experience in the industry. Our team of professionals stays up to date with the latest advancements in data recovery technology allowing us to make use of the most effective methods available.
If you encounter a situation of potential hard drive data loss, it is important to contact one of our experts for a free consultation so we can begin the evaluation process and maximize the chances for data recovery. Please call 1-877-364-5161 for immediate assistance or fill out an online help request to start your external hard drive data recovery!